Interested in working at Oxitec?
Our business is using cutting-edge science to tackle major challenges in global health and agriculture.
We are a dynamic company located at Milton Park, close to Oxford, one of the UK’s leading biotechnology hot spots. We need people who share our vision in combating some of the world’s most damaging insect pests and who have a drive to make a difference, a commitment to deliver, and who have the skills and experience to succeed.
We do not use agencies in our current recruitment process.
Job Title: Senior Research Scientist
Reporting to: R&D Group Leader
Responsible for: Research and Development
Oxitec is a pioneer in controlling insects that spread disease and damage crops. Through world-class science, we are tackling the major global challenges of keeping people healthy and increasing food production in a sustainable, environmentally friendly and cost-effective way.
Purpose of the job
Oxitec is a pioneer in controlling insects that spread disease and damage crops. Through world class science it is tackling the major global challenges of keeping people healthy and increasing food production and it is doing so in a way that is sustainable, environmentally friendly and cost effective.
We are seeking a highly motivated and capable senior research scientist to be part of a UK team dedicated to the development of our self-limiting technology in insect species that transmit disease or cause crop damage. This position involves laboratory development and analysis of transgenic strains before they are rolled out for regulatory approved field application.
The successful candidate will preferably be educated to PhD level (or BSc/MSc with equivalent experience) in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or a related scientific discipline, with experience in using advanced molecular biology techniques. Experience in working with insects is highly desirable. They will have a self-starting attitude, show strong leadership and organisational skills, and demonstrate original thinking and attention to detail. The successful candidate will be able to work independently while maintaining a strong team ethos, demonstrate good laboratory practices and the ability to follow SOPs, have experience training more junior scientists, have good oral and written communication skills (evidenced by scientific publications) and an understanding of project management.
- The responsibilities of the role are to include:
- Applying advanced molecular biology techniques to address experimental challenges in insect transgenesis
- Generation of new transgenic insect strains
- Providing project leadership, problem-solving and developing applied solutions
- Delivering work in accordance with project objectives and milestones
- Analysing, reporting and communicating data to project and R&D management team
- Assisting with other projects where required
Key Skills and Qualifications
- PhD in Biological Science or a related scientific discipline (or BSc/MSc with equivalent experience).
- Significant experience in application of advanced molecular techniques (qPCR, expression profiling, construct design and assembly are essential).
- Experience in protein biochemistry and/or cell biology or microbiology is a plus.
- Experience of working with insects is highly desirable.
- Experience analysing and interpreting NGS data is desirable.
- Project management experience is desirable but not essential and training will be provided in project management techniques as required.
- Must be diligent and organised, with excellent data recording and statistical analysis skills.
- Have a creative approach to problem solving and the development of applied solutions, providing project leadership and strategic direction.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team, and train junior scientists.
- A competitive annual salary.
- 37.5 hour working week.
- 25 days annual leave plus English bank holidays.
- Discretionary annual bonus up to 10%.
- Pension: a matching pension scheme where the company will contribute up to 10% of salary.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate having the right to work in the UK at the time of application
For further information please contact:- Sarah Coates at email@example.com and also visit www.oxitec.com
Closing Date: 23 Oct 2017. Long-listed candidates will be contacted for a phone interview in the week of 23-27 Oct 2017, and on-site interviews will take place at Oxitec, Milton Park for shortlisted candidates shortly thereafter.
Start date: ASAP